PDA

View Full Version : Politicians and the Paranormal

Delphine
12-15-2009, 06:46 PM
washingtonexaminer.com

New study: More Democrats than Republicans believe in ghosts, talking with the dead, fortunetellers

By: Byron York (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bios/byron-york.html)
Chief Political Correspondent
12/13/09 9:47 AM EST

A new study (http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=490) by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life reveals some startling differences between Republicans and Democrats on issues of spirituality and supernatural phenomenon.

The study, "Many Americans Mix Multiple Faiths," reports that a significant number of Americans practice a mixture of religious beliefs, and "many also blend Christianity with Eastern or New Age beliefs such as reincarnation, astrology and the presence of spiritual energy in physical objects." The report is not specifically about partisan differences, but the results of the study are broken down by party affiliation, among many other categories. And the news on that front is that Democrats are far more likely to believe in supernatural phenomenon than Republicans.

"Conservatives and Republicans report fewer experiences than liberals or Democrats communicating with the dead, seeing ghosts and consulting fortunetellers or psychics," the Pew study says. For example, 21 percent of Republicans report that they have been in touch with someone who is dead, while 36 percent of Democrats say they have done so. Eleven percent of Republicans say they have seen a ghost, while 21 percent of Democrats say so. And nine percent of Republicans say they have consulted a fortuneteller, while 22 percent of Democrats have.

There's more. Seventeen percent of Republicans say they believe in reincarnation, while 30 percent of Democrats do. Fourteen percent of Republicans say they believe in astrology, while 31 percent of Democrats do. Fifteen percent of Republicans say they view yoga as a spiritual practice, while 31 percent of Democrats do. Seventeen percent of Republicans say they believe in spiritual energy, while 30 percent of Democrats do.

There are some areas in which the two partisan groups are similar. When Pew asked respondents whether they have had a religious or mystical experience, 50 percent of Republicans said yes, as did 50 percent of Democrats. But overall, there are sizable disparities.

What accounts for them? Pew doesn't say. But the report does note that there are gender, ethnic, and racial differences in the totals. "Having been in touch with a dead person is more common among women than men," the report says. "Women are also twice as likely to have consulted a fortuneteller or psychic. Blacks report more experience feeling in touch with the dead than whites or Hispanics. But they resemble whites and Hispanics on other items, such as encounters with a ghost or consulting a fortuneteller." Some of those gender, ethnic and racial differences might come into play in the partisan totals. But in the end, the Pew report offers no solid answers for why there are such differences between Republicans and Democrats.

Alpha
12-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Not to minimize your thread in any way Delphs...but why does this matter? ...not the topic, but the "Repub" and "Dem" Part.....:confused:

Just asking....:dunno:

If I am misunderstanding, then fill me in...remember I am a Cannuck....

Delphine
12-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Not to minimize your thread in any way Delphs...but why does this matter? ...not the topic, but the "Repub" and "Dem" Part.....:confused:

Just asking....:dunno:

If I am misunderstanding, then fill me in...remember I am a Cannuck....

It probably doesn't matter at all. But, maybe "shrink" types would look at individuals, their beliefs and how those affect their attitudes and even voting. Of course, that would be another expensive unneccessary grant project....

I just thought it was interesting....LOOKS LIKE A DUG MYSELF INTO A HOLE WITH THIS ONE. :guilty:

VOguy
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Ghosts of dead Chicago voters.

Actually, Delphine, I can see the comparison. As much as we profess to not label people and their beliefs, there are some interesting parallels between those with certain political thoughts.

Case in point, anyone want to try to figure out why in a typical TV station most of your news people are liberals, while the engineers are conservative? Yeah, I know, I'm labeling, but the "bumper sticker test" proves I'm right. :)

earthist
12-15-2009, 11:52 PM
It's dangerous to make broad generalizations, but what the heck.....

Engineers like things that are predictable; things that work the same every time -- that's why they're engineers (computer programmers are like that, too, by the way). That's also the definition of "conservative." I have to say that I, too, take a certain comfort in the idea that I can go to sleep and still expect the world to be there when I wake up again. Still, a tweak here or there in the overall picture makes it a lot more interesting, too. I like change, I just prefer it a little at a time. Yet those tweaks tend to add up over time.......

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas any more.....:umbrella:

Judee
12-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas any more.....:umbrella:

It's definitely not Kansas anymore earthist!!! If you blink these days, the 'reality' of our entire existence changes. What we thought was real years ago; today isn't so. We (humans) are not what we seem. Life is a miracle, and we abuse it daily. The animals that we encounter, we take as lower life forms; and in reality they are really no more or no less than oursleves. We hate, we kill, we war, we challenge, and nothing changes. We are mere, hmm (how do I put this?) 'subjects' to be used, abused, and rewarded when those fall into line and contribute to those unseen shadows behind the curtain.

VOguy
12-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I just think it's interesting as much as people deny there are these profiling, the evidence speaks to the contrary.

I spoke of the bumper sticker test, which is easy to demonstrate. At our office there are two "wings" of the building. At the east is the engineering and operations center. At the west is the news and public affairs offices. The lot swings around the back of the building.

In the last election the cars in back of the east side of the building displayed McCain/Palin stickers, while the ones at the west end were Obama/Biden.

When you take the time to talk politics with people, statistically I've found that out of all the folks at the west end, only two out of twenty-three are conservative. On the west end, one out of twenty-nine are liberal.

When talking paranormal, those on the west end are more likely to believe in the esoteric and ET side, while those on the east end think UFOs and other paranormal subjects are baloney.

However, I find those on the east end are more likely to be church goers, and have a traditional faith, while those at the west end have a religion but don't openly practice or believe in any theology.

I think Delphine's article is on target.