PDA

View Full Version : Pyrites confuzzeled - Railroad Crossings

pyrite
08-13-2010, 09:13 PM
about 15 years ago a friend of mine had the same thing happen at the same rr crossing.....whats up with train tracks and stalled cars?...do the tracks kill the engines? this is actually not too uncommon to be crossing the tracks and having your car stall, my nephew had this happen in Lincoln california...his jeep stalled as he tried to cross, he got out to push and the train whacked his jeep to pieces

Stalled car demolished by train in Live Oak
Comments 7
August 13, 2010 04:42:00 PM
By Ashley Gebb/Appeal-Democrat

A young woman narrowly escaped being hit by a train after her car stalled on the tracks at Pennington Road in Live Oak this afternoon.

The driver, Mylicia Mailcoff, 18, of Live Oak was still trying to start her 1990 Honda Civic seconds before a Union Pacific freight train smashed into it and sent it hurling 30 feet down the tracks, according to witness Rudy Heredia, who ran over to the girl and told her to exit the vehicle.

"I told her to get out of the way," he said. "It (the train) just took the car out. It stopped about a half mile away. I don't think the train man even knew."

No cars could cross at Pennington or Larkin roads for more than an hour after the crash, which happened at 3:14 p.m. The train started moving again at about 4:25 p.m. and the crossing was reopened.

Delphine
08-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Interesting question. Could something be controlling the cars ?????? :suspect:

pyrite
08-13-2010, 10:04 PM
i wondered if theres something electrical because of the parallel tracks, and energy from the trains on the tracks...its always bothered me....theres that famous ghost story about the school bus in san antonio...a group of kids killed by a train that hit the stalled bus, supposedly the tracks are haunted

Judee
08-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Well, here's a few sides to the story... Personally, I don't know. :dunno:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2770/why-are-cars-so-prone-to-stalling-over-railroad-tracks

http://www.connectsavannah.com/news/archive/8465/

Railroad Crossings

Compared with other types of collisions, train/motor vehicle crashes are 11 times more likely
to result in a fatal injury. On the average, there are more train-car fatalities each year than
airplane crashes. Unfortunately, driver error is the principal cause of most grade crossing
accidents. Many drivers ignore the familiar tracks they cross each day, and some drivers
disregard train warning signals and gates.

All public highway-rail grade crossings are marked with one or more of the following warning
devices:

Advance Warning Signs:
Advance warning signs indicate that a railroad crossing is ahead. These signs are
positioned to allow enough room to stop before the train tracks.

Pavement Markings:
Pavement markings may be painted on the pavement in front of a crossing. Always stay
behind the stop line when waiting for a passing train.

Crossbuck Signs:
Railroad crossbuck signs are found at most public crossings. Treat these signs as a yield
sign. If there is more than one track, a sign below the crossbuck will indicate the number
of tracks at the crossings.

Flashing Lights and Gates:
Flashing lights are commonly used with crossbucks and gates. Stop when the lights begin
to flash and the gate starts to lower across your lane. Do not attempt to cross the tracks
until the gate is raised and the lights stop flashing.

IMPORTANT:
You must stop at least 15 feet from a train track when: (1) warning lights flash; (2) a crossing gate or flagperson signals an approaching train; (3) a train is within 1500 feet of the crossing; or (4) an approaching train is plainly visible and in hazardous proximity.

Follow these guidelines when you encounter a railroad crossing:

Always expect a train.
When approaching a crossing, LOOK, LISTEN, and LIVE.
Be sure all tracks are clear before you proceed. Remember, due to their large size, it is easy to misjudge the speed and distance of an oncoming train. If you have any doubts, stop and wait for the train to pass.
Watch for vehicles, such as school buses, that must stop before train tracks.
Never race a train to a crossing.
Always stop for flashing lights, bells, and gates. Never drive around a gate. (State law requires pedestrians to stop when a railroad crossing gate is down.)
Do not allow yourself to be boxed in on a track with cars in front and behind you.
Never stop on train tracks. If your car stalls on train tracks, call 911 immediately. If a train approaches, abandon the car and run away from the tracks.
When driving at night, look low to the ground for moving trains. (One third of all train-car collisions occur at night when cars run into moving trains.)
Watch out for a second oncoming train after the first train has passed.
http://ehsd.tamu.edu/documents/tamusafetymanual/17-VECHL.HTM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then there's this interesting tid-bit...

http://www.texasescapes.com/FEATURES/Texas_Favorite_ghost_stories/San_Antonio's_ghost_children.htm

pyrite
08-13-2010, 11:03 PM
"Why do cars stall on railroad tracks?
In: Cars and Vehicles [Edit categories]
[Improve]
What I have heard is that the train wheels on the tracks both being metal cause a magnetic pull. This will stall out a slow moving vehicle, or rather a vechile thats engine is turning at a low RPM".

......this answer kinda explains why my friends car stalled out..it wasnt running very well, and it is one of those rail crossings thats elevated...you have to drive up and over...maybe if the car isnt running right it effects the engine

Judee
08-14-2010, 12:10 AM
"Why do cars stall on railroad tracks?
In: Cars and Vehicles [Edit categories]
[Improve]
What I have heard is that the train wheels on the tracks both being metal cause a magnetic pull. This will stall out a slow moving vehicle, or rather a vechile thats engine is turning at a low RPM".

......this answer kinda explains why my friends car stalled out..it wasnt running very well, and it is one of those rail crossings thats elevated...you have to drive up and over...maybe if the car isnt running right it effects the engine

Makes sense to me, or at least I find the theory very plausible. :approve:

Alpha
08-14-2010, 09:12 AM
The above could certainly be a likely cause or probability. There could be other's of course.....an energy point or vortex of some sort or some previous history at a specific location perhaps :thinking: