Thread: Top 5 Genetically Modified Organisms

Top 5 Genetically Modified Organisms

I have to wonder what the real Top 5 are...the ones that no-one is talking about.

This to me if more than frightening. If they can do this, who knows what else has been created.

Perhaps that's how we were "created" as well and not my "humans"

Top 5 Bizarre Genetically Modified Organisms

Jun 20th, 2008

Genetic modification of plants and animals has caused a lot of debate in recent years as the technology becomes much more accessible to scientists. Despite the potential dangers of some modifications, science has continued to test and produce some striking new organisms. This is a list of the top 5 most bizarre.

1- Lemurat

With the growing wealth of China, many rich Chinese women are seeking alternative and exotic pets to show off their money. This has lead to a number of Chinese medical and scientific research companies to compete for this new income source by producing cross breed animals. The most successful (financially) so far has been the Lemur Cat. It is (as the name suggests) a cross between a lemur and a cat. It retains the soft fur of the cat and the coloring, but has the striped tail and yellow eyes commonly found on a lemur. It is more ferocious than the average cat but it is generally no more dangerous than a Chihuahua dog. The scientific name for this new breed is Prolos Fira.

2-Dolion

This is probably the most remarkable example of how far science is able to go with modern DNA and cross fertilization techniques; the dolion is a cross between a lion and a dog. In order to produce this incredible rare animal (only 3 dolions exist in laboratories - the photo above is of Rex, the first ever produced), individual strands of DNA from each creature must be combined and re-inserted in to a host egg. This is similar to the liger (lion/tiger crossbreed) with the exception that the liger is able to be produced without prior manipulation of the DNA of either breed of animal.

3- Glofish

The GloFish was the first genetically modified animal to become available as a pet. It is a natural Zebrafish which has had genetic information from bioluminescent jellyfish added to its DNA. It was originally produced to provide a warning system for pollution but with the addition of further colors its viability for the pet market became clear. It was introduced to the US market in December 2003 by Yorktown Technologies of Austin, Texas.

4- Graisin

The graisin [giant raisin] is a variety of raisin which has been modified to grow to enormous proportions. The graisin was produced by the National Institute of Genetics in Japan due to the Japanese love of large fruit and the recent popularity of western foods such as raisins. The texture and taste is identical to that of its genetically normal parent and it is served raw or thinly sliced in a stir fry.

5- Fern Spider

The fern spider is unique on this list as it is the only combined plant and animal. At the time of writing this is the only animal that has successfully been crossed with a plant. The spider is a cross between a common Italian Wolf spider (Lycosa tarantula) and the ponga fern (Cyathea dealbata). The purpose of this bizarre crossbreed was to study the survival rates of spiders with built in camouflage versus those without in a series of studies on Natural Selection at Massey University in New Zealand. The results of the study have not been published yet.
    Source: The List Universe

No idea if this is a hoax, partial hoax or true.....

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

Judee is offline LOOK TO THE SUN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY
    You know Alpha, for a many years now, I've been saying tongue-in-cheek, that 'we're' nothing but lab rats here on this earth. After reading this, I KNOW we are!!! This sends shivers down my spine, as I don't see this stopping. I do believe this is also how we modern humans were created. It was genetic manipulation, done by 'they who from heaven came'. They needed slave workers, and the current species on the planet were not intelligent enough to take orders, so they used their own DNA, combined it with various animals, until they eventually came up with 'us'. That's where all the ancient legends of half man, half horse; half man, half goat, etc. came from. The SOB's have been manipulating us ever since. I believe that this current influx of new and amazing technology is not coming from humans... In other words, "They're baaack..." I know many people can't wrap their brains around that kind of thinking, but to me, there's just simply too much clearly obvious scientific evidence everywhere around this world to support it.
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. ~C.S. Lewis

Sounds like a "The Onion" article. Funny. Humans are probably across between a hairless rat and monkey.

Judee is offline LOOK TO THE SUN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinorumus View Post
    Sounds like a "The Onion" article. Funny. Humans are probably across between a hairless rat and monkey.
    I know for fact that the fish are real. I've seen them. I also know for fact that jellyfish DNA was put into monkeys giving them luminescent fur. Not sure if the spider/plant cross thing is possible, but all the other crosses are definitely possible, and I wouldn't put it past some frankenstein in a lab somewhere to have done it 'just because' they could! We're in a time on this planet now, where we're playing God...
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. ~C.S. Lewis

Thread Information