Photo by Avatark - Is it a ghost or smoke?
101 Signs that youíve encountered a Ghost
by Melissa Alvarez
Recently I posted the Top Five Signs that your house may be haunted
Now, letís take it one step further.
How do you know if youíve encountered a ghost?
Are there certain things that happen? Things that other people have already experienced?
You bet there are.
Iíve composed a list of 101 ways to tell that youíve been in contact with a ghost. These arenít in any particular order.
Let me know if youíve had any of these things happen to you.
I came up with this list from both my own experience and from discussions that Iíve had with other people about their paranormal experiences. Itís always a good idea to rule out a logical, non-paranormal source for any of these items before attributing it to a paranormal occurrence. For example, scratching behind a wall could be a mouse or other animal but if an exterminator has been called, found no evidence of animals in the wall and you have other paranormal events going on then it would be considered paranormal.
1. You feel like youíre being watched from a ceiling corner of the room.
2. You see unexplained lights in houses when no one is home.
3. Your dog freaks out over something you canít see, cowers and runs from the room, or refuses to enter the room.
4. Your cat stares at a certain spot, his hair raises, he hisses and bolts from the room.
5. You see a transparent human form walking around.
6. You feel a weight on your bed, as if someone is sitting there but no one is.
7. You hear someone shout your name.
8. You find physical evidence of footprints that canít be explained.
9. Electrical devices start operating by themselves.
10. A childís toy starts moving on its own or if itís electronic, starts making noise.
11. You see a light colored mist form into any shape and the origin of the mist is unknown.
12. You hear crying of an unknown origin.
13. You smell a fragrance in your home that you donít own.
14. A picture flying (not falling) off the wall and into the room.
15. You hear the sound of footsteps when no one is there.
16. You see someone who looks as real as you do but as you watch they disappear.
17. Youíre physically touched by someone that isnít there Ė your shirt or hair is tugged, someone brushes by or lays a hand on your shoulder.
18. More elevated Ė youíre slapped, pushed or shoved by something you canít see.
19. A foul odor comes from nowhere and then disappears.
20. Furniture is rearranged Ė even heavy furniture.
21. Water is turned on or off by itself.
22. You hear music from an unknown source.
23. Lights turning on an off by themselves.
24. More elevated Ė you see the light switch move when no one is touching it.
25. Unexplained writing appears on a wall, mirror or piece of paper.
26. Objects are missing from a locked box or safe and show up later outside of the secured place.
27. Your doorbell rings but no one is there.
28. You hear doors or cabinets opening and closing by themselves.
29. You SEE a door or cabinet open or close when no one is near it.
30. More elevated Ė doors or cabinets slamming shut with extreme force.
31. A child tells you they see someone that you canít. (Children and animals are very sensitive to the paranormal)
32. Faces appearing within inanimate objects and then disappear.
33. You feel a cold spot when there isnít a reason for it to be cold in that area.
34. You find handprints of unexplained origin.
35. You hear hushed whispers but canít find the source of the sound.
36. Items disappear and then reappear in an unexpected place.
37. You see a shadow of someone in your peripheral vision.
38. You look into a mirror and see someone else reflected there but when you look into the room where they should be standing no one is there.
39. You see balls of unexplained light.
40. You get a sudden sick feeling in the pit of your stomach and Goosebumps on your arms or a prickly feeling on the back of your neck all at the same time.
41. You get sudden cold chills accompanied by a sense of fear.
42. You feel uneasy in certain areas of your home like the basement or attic.
43. You feel a sudden warm or hot spot in your home.
44. You feel a breeze inside the house when the windows are closed.
45. A spirit orb appears in a photo youíve taken.
46. A musical instrument plays by itself (piano etc.)
47. A sudden feeling of nausea in a particular room when youíre not sick.
48. You have thoughts that donít fit your personality when in a particular area.
49. Laughter without a source.
50. You hear sounds of pain, like moaning, but there isnít anyone there.
51. You hear sounds or smell a certain fragrance or odor at the same time every day.
52. You see unusual things reflected in glass objects.
53. You record voices of people who werenít present on a tape or digital recording device.
54. You answer your phone and the voice of someone you know that has died speaks to you.
55. Small, flashing lights zigzag around the room.
56. The television set goes berserk for no apparent reason.
57. Light bulbs blow out on a regular basis.
58. The phone rings with a different ringtone that itís not programmed for.
59. Abrupt mood swings or changes in a personís character only in specific areas or in places thought to be haunted.
60. You feel frozen to the spot for a short amount of time.
61. Visitors to your home often complain that they feel uncomfortable, couldnít sleep well or heard and saw things they couldnít explain.
62. People in your family are consistently having nightmares.
63. You hear tapping on the walls.
64. Youíve seen what appear to be red eyes in the darkness.
65. Youíve awakened to see misty people standing around your bed.
66. Thereís blood running down the walls.
67. Unexplained whistling.
68. You have visions of how someone died as youíre falling asleep.
69. If you have a rocking chair, it rocks by itself.
70. An entity tries to harm you by holding a pillow over your face.
71. You hear pages of books or newspapers turning.
72. Youíre filming a family event and an apparition appears in the footage.
73. A ghostly voice threatens you.
74. You feel someone breathing on your shoulder or neck.
75. You wake up to find odd marks or scratches on your body that wasnít there when you went to sleep.
76. Black marks suddenly appear on the walls of your home.
77. Youíre alone in the house, and you hear a door slam in another part of the house.
78. You hear scratching sounds from behind the walls.
79. A candle is suddenly blown out when no one is near it.
80. Youíre driving down the road, see someone walking on the side but when you look back at them in your rearview mirror, no one is there.
81. Youíve seen objects levitating in the air.
82. Youíve been levitated into the air.
83.Youíve woken up because your bed is violently shaking.
84. Papers are jerked out of your hands when no one is near you.
85. A glowing cloud hovers in the room.
86. The air in certain areas of your house may feel heavy or stagnant even though you try to freshen it up.
87. You become sick with an illness that the doctor canít diagnosis or treat.
88. You lock a door or window only to find it unlocked or vice versa.
89. You see apparitions while touring a battleground or graveyard.
90. Youíre shopping and turn to look at a person nearby you and discover they donít have a face. You blink, look again and theyíre gone or they disappear right in front of you.
91. A woman or man walks up to you in a public place, gives you what seems like a message and then disappears.
92. You look up at a house from street level and see someone standing in a doorway or window when you know that no one is home or the home is empty or abandoned.
93. You see a single light and hear a train coming down the tracks when the tracks are no longer in use and the train never really goes by.
94. You hear someone breathing in an empty room.
95. The radio in your car turns on or off by itself.
96. You hear screams or ghostly activity at specific times every day Ė usually at night.
97. A ďlady in whiteĒ is seen walking down your hall or steps.
98. You see a dark colored mist that forms inside and takes the shape of a person.
99. The batteries in your flashlights, cameras, phones etc drain very quickly when in areas that are thought to be haunted.
100. You wake and feel a pressure on your chest that doesnít have a medical reason.
101. You sit down in a chair and it feels like you just sat in someoneís lap Ė but the chair is empty.