Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 101 Signs that You've Encountered a Ghost

101 Signs that You've Encountered a Ghost

Well I'm not sure if this list is for "ghosts" only or other "paranormal" manifestations, however this is a pretty comprehensive list.

Have any of you experienced any of these?

Photo by Avatark - Is it a ghost or smoke?

101 Signs that youíve encountered a Ghost

by Melissa Alvarez

Recently I posted the Top Five Signs that your house may be haunted.

Now, letís take it one step further.

How do you know if youíve encountered a ghost?

Are there certain things that happen? Things that other people have already experienced?

You bet there are.

Iíve composed a list of 101 ways to tell that youíve been in contact with a ghost. These arenít in any particular order.

Let me know if youíve had any of these things happen to you.

I came up with this list from both my own experience and from discussions that Iíve had with other people about their paranormal experiences. Itís always a good idea to rule out a logical, non-paranormal source for any of these items before attributing it to a paranormal occurrence. For example, scratching behind a wall could be a mouse or other animal but if an exterminator has been called, found no evidence of animals in the wall and you have other paranormal events going on then it would be considered paranormal.

1. You feel like youíre being watched from a ceiling corner of the room.
    2. You see unexplained lights in houses when no one is home.
    3. Your dog freaks out over something you canít see, cowers and runs from the room, or refuses to enter the room.
    4. Your cat stares at a certain spot, his hair raises, he hisses and bolts from the room.
    5. You see a transparent human form walking around.
    6. You feel a weight on your bed, as if someone is sitting there but no one is.
    7. You hear someone shout your name.
    8. You find physical evidence of footprints that canít be explained.
    9. Electrical devices start operating by themselves.
    10. A childís toy starts moving on its own or if itís electronic, starts making noise.
    11. You see a light colored mist form into any shape and the origin of the mist is unknown.
    12. You hear crying of an unknown origin.
    13. You smell a fragrance in your home that you donít own.
    14. A picture flying (not falling) off the wall and into the room.
    15. You hear the sound of footsteps when no one is there.
    16. You see someone who looks as real as you do but as you watch they disappear.
    17. Youíre physically touched by someone that isnít there Ė your shirt or hair is tugged, someone brushes by or lays a hand on your shoulder.
    18. More elevated Ė youíre slapped, pushed or shoved by something you canít see.
    19. A foul odor comes from nowhere and then disappears.
    20. Furniture is rearranged Ė even heavy furniture.
    21. Water is turned on or off by itself.
    22. You hear music from an unknown source.
    23. Lights turning on an off by themselves.
    24. More elevated Ė you see the light switch move when no one is touching it.
    25. Unexplained writing appears on a wall, mirror or piece of paper.
    26. Objects are missing from a locked box or safe and show up later outside of the secured place.
    27. Your doorbell rings but no one is there.
    28. You hear doors or cabinets opening and closing by themselves.
    29. You SEE a door or cabinet open or close when no one is near it.
    30. More elevated Ė doors or cabinets slamming shut with extreme force.
    31. A child tells you they see someone that you canít. (Children and animals are very sensitive to the paranormal)
    32. Faces appearing within inanimate objects and then disappear.
    33. You feel a cold spot when there isnít a reason for it to be cold in that area.
    34. You find handprints of unexplained origin.
    35. You hear hushed whispers but canít find the source of the sound.
    36. Items disappear and then reappear in an unexpected place.
    37. You see a shadow of someone in your peripheral vision.
    38. You look into a mirror and see someone else reflected there but when you look into the room where they should be standing no one is there.
    39. You see balls of unexplained light.
    40. You get a sudden sick feeling in the pit of your stomach and Goosebumps on your arms or a prickly feeling on the back of your neck all at the same time.
    41. You get sudden cold chills accompanied by a sense of fear.
    42. You feel uneasy in certain areas of your home like the basement or attic.
    43. You feel a sudden warm or hot spot in your home.
    44. You feel a breeze inside the house when the windows are closed.
    45. A spirit orb appears in a photo youíve taken.
    46. A musical instrument plays by itself (piano etc.)
    47. A sudden feeling of nausea in a particular room when youíre not sick.
    48. You have thoughts that donít fit your personality when in a particular area.
    49. Laughter without a source.
    50. You hear sounds of pain, like moaning, but there isnít anyone there.
    51. You hear sounds or smell a certain fragrance or odor at the same time every day.
    52. You see unusual things reflected in glass objects.
    53. You record voices of people who werenít present on a tape or digital recording device.
    54. You answer your phone and the voice of someone you know that has died speaks to you.
    55. Small, flashing lights zigzag around the room.
    56. The television set goes berserk for no apparent reason.
    57. Light bulbs blow out on a regular basis.
    58. The phone rings with a different ringtone that itís not programmed for.
    59. Abrupt mood swings or changes in a personís character only in specific areas or in places thought to be haunted.
    60. You feel frozen to the spot for a short amount of time.
    61. Visitors to your home often complain that they feel uncomfortable, couldnít sleep well or heard and saw things they couldnít explain.
    62. People in your family are consistently having nightmares.
    63. You hear tapping on the walls.
    64. Youíve seen what appear to be red eyes in the darkness.
    65. Youíve awakened to see misty people standing around your bed.
    66. Thereís blood running down the walls.
    67. Unexplained whistling.
    68. You have visions of how someone died as youíre falling asleep.
    69. If you have a rocking chair, it rocks by itself.
    70. An entity tries to harm you by holding a pillow over your face.
    71. You hear pages of books or newspapers turning.
    72. Youíre filming a family event and an apparition appears in the footage.
    73. A ghostly voice threatens you.
    74. You feel someone breathing on your shoulder or neck.
    75. You wake up to find odd marks or scratches on your body that wasnít there when you went to sleep.
    76. Black marks suddenly appear on the walls of your home.
    77. Youíre alone in the house, and you hear a door slam in another part of the house.
    78. You hear scratching sounds from behind the walls.
    79. A candle is suddenly blown out when no one is near it.
    80. Youíre driving down the road, see someone walking on the side but when you look back at them in your rearview mirror, no one is there.
    81. Youíve seen objects levitating in the air.
    82. Youíve been levitated into the air.
    83.Youíve woken up because your bed is violently shaking.
    84. Papers are jerked out of your hands when no one is near you.
    85. A glowing cloud hovers in the room.
    86. The air in certain areas of your house may feel heavy or stagnant even though you try to freshen it up.
    87. You become sick with an illness that the doctor canít diagnosis or treat.
    88. You lock a door or window only to find it unlocked or vice versa.
    89. You see apparitions while touring a battleground or graveyard.
    90. Youíre shopping and turn to look at a person nearby you and discover they donít have a face. You blink, look again and theyíre gone or they disappear right in front of you.
    91. A woman or man walks up to you in a public place, gives you what seems like a message and then disappears.
    92. You look up at a house from street level and see someone standing in a doorway or window when you know that no one is home or the home is empty or abandoned.
    93. You see a single light and hear a train coming down the tracks when the tracks are no longer in use and the train never really goes by.
    94. You hear someone breathing in an empty room.
    95. The radio in your car turns on or off by itself.
    96. You hear screams or ghostly activity at specific times every day Ė usually at night.
    97. A ďlady in whiteĒ is seen walking down your hall or steps.
    98. You see a dark colored mist that forms inside and takes the shape of a person.
    99. The batteries in your flashlights, cameras, phones etc drain very quickly when in areas that are thought to be haunted.
    100. You wake and feel a pressure on your chest that doesnít have a medical reason.
    101. You sit down in a chair and it feels like you just sat in someoneís lap Ė but the chair is empty.
    Add your own signs to the list

102. You ran out of thioridazine a few days ago.
    103. The shadow monkeys verify your sighting of ghosts too.
    104. The ghosts don't disappear when you closed your eyes.
    more later...

Thanks for the chuckle, #27 had me rolling on the floor. I can image I must have spooked a lot of folks when I was an adolescent.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinorumus View Post
    102. You ran out of thioridazine a few days ago.
    103. The shadow monkeys verify your sighting of ghosts too.
    104. The ghosts don't disappear when you closed your eyes.
    more later...

Thanks for the chuckle, #27 had me rolling on the floor. I can image I must have spooked a lot of folks when I was an adolescent.

Why did I hear a little whisper in my ear earlier today when I was posting this, telling me the first one who would respond to my post would be you, Div!?

O.K. ...you're on about # 104!!

Damn I've had all of those happen to me. Div's as well. No wonder I can't get any sleep.

All I know is someone is watching over my shoulder. I feel it. A tingling up my back and neck. Someone is here. I enjoyed the list but if I see a ghost I'm pretty sure I won't need the list for conformation.

Judee is offline LOOK TO THE SUN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY
    I've experienced 3; 6; 7 (quite often); 11 (quite often); 13, 16, 17, 33, 42, 44, 56, 60, and 65 (a lot).

Okay Div, I'm going back to my room now. My nurse is waiting with my meds!

Oh, and that photo at the top of your post Alpha, has to be a dog...
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. ~C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Judee View Post
    I've experienced 3; 6; 7 (quite often); 11 (quite often); 13, 16, 17, 33, 42, 44, 56, 60, and 65 (a lot).

Okay Div, I'm going back to my room now. My nurse is waiting with my meds!
    Funny.

105 You get yourself a cold one, and moments later forget where you put it. Damn ghost must have moved it. Also applies to TV remotes, packs of cigarettes, lighters, or the occasional small package of M&Ms.

106 You go out drinking with some friends, and wake up the next morning on your porch in your underwear. Darn ghosts put you under some sort of Vulcan mind melt.
    [

Oh Oh! Am I the only one who really HAS experienced some of the things on the list?

Oh Oh! Am I the only one who really HAS experienced some of the things on the list?
    I've experienced strange phenomenon, but my belief in what all that was is rooted in my belief in what the nature of reality is and isn't.

I.E. I suspect ghosts manifest in our minds ~ if I close my eyes and it's still there, I'm more apt to believe something on the other side is contacting me. Could be a hallucination too. But if it disappears when I close my eyes, or shows up in a photograph, then there is a logical "this world" explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Divinorumus View Post
    I've experienced strange phenomenon, but my belief in what all that was is rooted in my belief in what the nature of reality is and isn't.

I.E. I suspect ghosts manifest in our minds ~ if I close my eyes and it's still there, I'm more apt to believe something on the other side is contacting me. Could be a hallucination too. But if it disappears when I close my eyes, or shows up in a photograph, then there is a logical "this world" explanation.

I believe in the 'miracle' of both life and the 'after' life... As pure energy, we do not die, we simply change. As such, there is no mystery that souls who have passed out of their earthly physical bodies could, if they choose, make some kind of 'contact' or whatever you want to call it, with those here on this earthly place. No imagination needed, no mystery involved, nor anything to fear. Just a simple fact of our existence at different levels.

No imagination needed, no mystery involved, nor anything to fear. Just a simple fact of our existence at different levels.
    You need not convince me of this, as I've met many departed souls while visiting the other side. I don't believe they can manifest in our (apparent) physical reality though (never see that happen, can't even conceive of a way that could even be possible). I do believe they can manifest in our consciousness though. There is a way to do this, on demand, almost anytime you please. I could show you, but we would have to do so face to face.

A few months ago someone here, a total disbeliever of the other side, put me to the test to prove it, again. Without going into the procedural details, I took the challenge (once again) and . ... well, after the experience she was in total uncontrollable tears. She had connected with her deceased parents and re-experienced an earlier long forgotten childhood moment with them in the past. I recorded the episode and there were things she said to them that she had even forgotten she had said until I played back the whole recording. She relived an earlier experience with them but not exactly as it had happened in the past because they were interacting with her from the other side this time.

She became a total believer now. She's been calling me to try it again and I've declined so far because she became TOO emotional and I was having difficulty controlling her enthusiasm during the experience (she would not remain still, a rare side affect, and was physically acting out her encounter in this realm, which was not good - you can't have someone walking around in this realm while experiencing being in another, they trip and fall and walk into walls and knock over things, ha, I had to restrain her a couple times).

This "contacting" the other side works almost all the time. I know how to do this and I've become quite good at it and guiding others there too.

What I don't believe is possible is that those on the other side can manifest within our realm and appear as a ghost outside of our conscious minds.

I believe in the 'miracle' of both life and the 'after' life... As pure energy, we do not die, we simply change. As such, there is no mystery that souls who have passed out of their earthly physical bodies could, if they choose, make some kind of 'contact' or whatever you want to call it, with those here on this earthly place. No imagination needed, no mystery involved, nor anything to fear. Just a simple fact of our existence at different levels.
    If you believe as Einstein did, that "Energy is neither created or destroyed but only changes form (transforms)", then to me it makes a good amount of sense, and validates what Div said about the manifestations in the mind.

I find it hard to believe that with all we know, that on our death it's erased from the universe like a crashed hard drive. These electrical impulses, however small they are, need to go somewhere.

I do think, however, that there is either a rule that ghosts live by, or perhaps a physical issue that prevents them from meddling in our world.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by VOguy View Post
    I find it hard to believe that with all we know, that on our death it's erased from the universe like a crashed hard drive.
    I don't believe anything is erased. It's all there, scribed within the multiverse forever. The soul is like a wanderer within a vast infinite library of endless shelves of books that we can access. When we, as a soul, are engrossed within a new book, rarely do we recall the details of the previous books we've lived (thus why I think few can recall past lives). I only see all the books when I put aside the one I'm currently experiencing and engrossed within. If I put it aside, discard the ego, I can see them all. Thus the sensation of becoming ONE, or IT ALL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information