Thread: Get DIAL-UP FRIENDLY YouTube Videos (& MORE) - Movavi Online Converter

Get DIAL-UP FRIENDLY YouTube Videos (& MORE) - Movavi Online Converter

The following is a Public Service Announcement

Hey Now Folks! If you're a reader of Yours Truly's here on the forum, you already know for some time he's been providing dial-up versions of the YouTube videos he includes in his posts.

What you probably weren't aware of (just as HE wasn't until just recently) is online.movavi.com will convert video clips from sites like YouTube "on-the-fly" to a file format designed for downloading on dial-up!

Not only THAT, BUT BELIEVE IT OR NOT folks with hi-speed connections can download the vids in a variety of other formats including AVI, MPEG and others for playback anytime on their PC, IPod, iPhone, PSP, etcetera.

Pretty cool, eh? And not bad at all, for a totally FREE service allowing essentially ANYONE to create and download videos suited-to-their-situation from YouTube & similar sites without being terribly tech-savvy, or in need of special software installed on their PC

While more info on all the myriad uses of Movavi Online Converter can be found at the site, here’s an example/exercise specifically illustrating the rudiments of creating a dial-up friendly YouTube video --

To start things off, go to online.movavi.com

STEP 1

a. Enter or paste the video clip’s URL (clip should be 10 minutes or less). For this example, use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsC0v6QrH44

b. Click on the + sign next to the URL you entered. You should see the file name appear in the space below.

STEP 2

a. Click on the “Advanced” link

b. In the pop up window that appears, in the drop-down box next to ‘Format’, select WMV

c. In the drop-down box next to ‘Preset’, select WMV 9 for Dial-up Modems (28,8 kbps)
    Note: Quality-wise the other dial-up preset isn’t much of an improvement, and for folks with slow connections, will just take longer to download

d. The pop up window should now look like this: DO NOT CHANGE ANY VALUES!

Click on “Ok”, and proceed to Step 3.

STEP 3

a. You should probably click on and read the Terms of Use...

b. If you're in an agreeable mood (after getting this far and not caring to come away with squat, chances are you WILL be), make sure a checkmark is in the box next to 'I agree to Terms of Use' and then click on “convert!”

c. A pop up window titled 'Processing files' will appear, with a bar charting the progress:

When the progress bar is gone, the process is complete and

VOILA! Now you have a link to a video from YouTube that’s highly suited for dial-up downloading.

Btw as Movavi links are only good for 24 hours from the time they're created, should you intend to share videos you generate there, you'll probably want to upload them to some sort of more-or-less permanent online file-storage service/site. Any decision on which one to use is left as an independent exercise for the reader...

It's worth noting many media sharing sites will re-convert the video after upload, so especially for dial-up versions, it's important to know your files will be stored 'as-is'

Just as it is, if you have trouble selecting a suitable storage service, might I suggest checking out myspacefilehosting.com? No account is needed, files are stored indefinitely, file access options include both a direct-download link AND an embedded media player (here's a sample for the above example), you can upload as many files as you want - and ALL for the low, low price of $0.00!

DISCLAIMER: Yours Truly has NO financial interest in myspacefilehosting.com or online.movavi.com (APART from the fact that they're free )

Judee is offline LOOK TO THE SUN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY
    Your kindness knows no bounds Dr. P! Thank you for thinking about the very few dinosaurs like myself who are still struggling with Dial-up!
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. ~C.S. Lewis

Ice ages are always preceded by periods of global warming.

Apologies that I missed your original post Dr P....many thanks!!

I'll stick this thread for easy reference for our dial up folks here....many thanks again!

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

Unhappy

Hey now folks, y'all know how nothing lasts forever and all good things must come to an end, right?

Well, along those lines, it is my sad duty to report in its "infinite wisdom" Movavi Online has put the kibosh on the WMV format, and the remaining conversion options aren't really suitable for creating dialup-friendly videos.

While I can tell you another site, mediaconverter.org, still has the WMV format available it has no low-speed presets, and so far I've had no luck setting up options to make dialup suited vids on anything resembling a reliable basis. Just as it is, I've just about run out of patience getting it to work...

Wish I could be more encouraging at this point, but if and when I do come by another option for dialup I'll let you all know

Judee is offline LOOK TO THE SUN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Powerfun View Post
    Hey now folks, y'all know how nothing lasts forever and all good things must come to an end, right?

Well, along those lines, it is my sad duty to report in its "infinite wisdom" Movavi Online has put the kibosh on the WMV format, and the remaining conversion options aren't really suitable for creating dialup-friendly videos.

While I can tell you another site, mediaconverter.org, still has the WMV format available it has no low-speed presets, and so far I've had no luck setting up options to make dialup suited vids on anything resembling a reliable basis. Just as it is, I've just about run out of patience getting it to work...

Wish I could be more encouraging at this point, but if and when I do come by another option for dialup I'll let you all know

Oh well Dr. P. I am a dinosaur living in a rocket ship kind of world. I could get satellite, but it's out of my budget at this point. Your kindness for myself and any others in my position is truly appreciated! I will survive with my 'horse and buggy' in a motor vehicle world!
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. ~C.S. Lewis

Ice ages are always preceded by periods of global warming.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Powerfun View Post

More than many thanks and hugs for what you have done for our dial up members Dr P!!

You are one of a kind!!

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

here is my suggestion at freefileconvert.com online file converter site for any type of audio and video convert's. If yo have time then just try it. Thanks

Hey,
    This is great and many thanks too...!!!

Thread Information