Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Emma Woods" - Abductee? vs Dr David Jacobs - Is Hypnosis an Ethical Vehicle?

"Emma Woods" - Abductee? vs Dr David Jacobs - Is Hypnosis an Ethical Vehicle?

There is quite a stir on the net about Dr David Jacobs and a "patient"/alleged abductee...a client of his psuedonymed, "Emma Woods" and their seeming long standing working relationship together....somewhat much unreported/not touched by the usual venues.

Its interesting that Coast hasn't hosted Jacobs for a long time...not since 2008 the best that I can tell from what's on the Coast site and perhaps this is one of the reasons why.

Essentially, this "Emma Woods" is accusing Jacobs of unethical practice....for practicing hypnosis over the phone, among other allegations..and let's remember he is NOT a medical Dr of even a psychologist...he is a professor/PHD allegedly of history at Temple University.

The folks at Paratopia have done a series of very extensive, yet seemingly damning interviews, not in Jacob's favor, on this entire situation.

Here are the interviews ( all free streaming):

The Emma Woods Tapes

Ep 57

Alien hybrids making threats over instant messenger. Hypnosis sessions conducted over the telephone. Boisterous, arrogant men talking down to a victimized female. This story has it all and then some. Jeff and Jeremy dissect Emma Woods’ phone conversations with Dr. David Jacobs regarding the termination of their relationship. This episode asks the important question: Who presents the bigger threat to us, aliens or the researchers looking into them? Then we examine the wrongheaded and cruel response to Emma by UFO Watchdog. For her, the hits just keep on coming. Take a drink every time we repeat this is just our opinion or beg Jacobs to come on our show in this, our most controversial episode to date.
    Emma Woods - The Interview

Ep 60

In this world exclusive interview, “Emma Woods” finally speaks out about her real experiences with the paranormal and the tragic turn her life took as a research subject of Dr. David Jacobs. Dr. Jacobs has yet to make a public statement about Emma’s allegations and documentation, but she has received word from Temple University the school for which he works and in which she claims she was lead to believe this work was for. She also received a letter from Jacobs’ fellow abduction researcher and friend, Budd Hopkins. What they have to say may appall you.
    Threatened by Hybrids

Ep 62

David Jacobs finally released a defense regarding Emma Woods and his use of telephone hypnosis. We examine his damage control campaign including his recent appearance on The ''show that shall not be named here'' with Budd Hopkins. Then we read a surprising email by Budd’s co-author on Sight Unseen and ex-wife, Carol Rainey regarding our Emma Woods interview, specifically Budd’s letter to Emma. Next, we answer listener mail and finally end with some strange, new experiences involving both hosts and Jeff’s wife, Lisa. This one is jam-packed with variety so get ready!
    Our Tim Binnall, has also touched this whole mess in one of his interviews HERE

This is one very complicated and ugly mess IMO.

Budd Hopkins is also involved in all of this to some degree.

Sadly this leaves some very serious issues for the field of Ufology, the study of abductees, the credibility of methods and research that has been presented.

I would encourage you all who have interest to listen to these interviews and look forward to your input.

Last but not least, here is an interview Paratopia did with Dr Scott Lillenfield which directly relates to all of this:

Dr Scott Lillienfeld

Ep 55

Dr. Scott Lilienfeld is a professor of psychology at Emory University and editor of Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice. He is also co-author of 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology and a contributing blogger at Psychology Today. In what is sure to be one of our most controversial episodes, Dr. Lilienfeld not only explores the myth that hypnosis is an appropriate memory retrieval tool for alien abduction research... HE DESTROYS IT.

In the process, we examine the Emma Woods/David Jacobs debacle that seems every bit as surreal as the alien abduction stories in Jacobs' books. Is his behavior appropriate? Is this what happens when a man gets too absorbed in his own conclusions about the unknown? Hear Dr. Lilienfeld's initial impressions.

If you know of anyone who is thinking about undergoing hypnosis, please direct them here. This should be required listening for anyone who wants to undergo it or practice it.
    Emma Wood's Website - Is It Alien Abuction?

Dr David Jacobs Webstie - ICAR

All of this will take some hours to go through, so for those who take the time.

There are a ton of allegations here....how Jacobs diagnoses "Emma" with MPD over the phone...how he gets seemingly all bent out of shape from IM's from messages from alleged "hybrids" he claims to receive on his computer....

I can assure you this will be quite a ride.

I have to wonder what Knapp feels about all of this, since he was the last to interview Jacobs:

Coast Guest Summaries

Looking forward to hearing what you all think about this.

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

More on this "situation":

Rasputin Returns: David Jacobs versus Emma Woods

But there are times when, even in an era like this where things are so routinely screwed up, indulging certain spiritual yearnings can get you into trouble. I believe that is at least partly the case with Dr. David Jacobs, the abduction researcher who seems to be, in recent months, coming apart at the seams psychologically.

Jacobs is currently mired in a nasty controversy involving an ex-client. She claims he had psychologically abused her and had “engaged in extensive leading and suggestion” (from Emma Woods' Introduction on her website) over the course of 91 hypnotic regressions and 37 hypnosis sessions. The sessions averaged 5 hours, according to Emma Woods (EW, not her real name).

Jacobs counters that EW is suffering from Borderline Personality Disorder, a charge he attempts to substantiate in his webpost “The Defamation Campaign,” by making reference to two encyclopedic-type entries on borderline personality and defamation or “vilification” campaigns on websites which do not reference a specific author for these entries. (BPD Distortion Campaigns and BPD Distortion Campaigns—Angiemedia) He also states EW made several hang-up phone calls to him in the middle of the night and sent nasty emails to him. According to Jacobs, she sent her dossier to “every member of the UFO and abduction community that she could find in the English-speaking world.” (Defamation Campaign, hereafter DC).

“I’ve consulted confidentially with a variety of psychologists, psychiatrists, and therapists,” Jacobs says on his website. “The overwhelming consensus is that [EW’s] stalking and obsessive behavior is consistent with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), although these medical professionals cannot, of course, make a formal diagnosis without seeing her.”...............

Also involved in the controversy is Dr. Jacobs’ webmaster, “Elizabeth Smith,” a pseudonym. Miss Smith used to have a blog about her abduction experiences. It is no longer available on blogger................

If Dr. Jacobs intended to exonerate himself of wrongdoing with his DC post to his website, I’m afraid he’s accomplished quite the opposite.
    The recordings of his phone calls with EW are pretty damaging to Dr. Jacobs’ cause. There are several disputes playing out in those recordings. The primary dispute, however, is over the authorship of certain threatening instant messages Dr. Jacobs received concerning his work with EW. EW claims the messages were authored by Jacobs’ webmaster, the AWOL Miss Smith. Jacobs says they were written by Alien-human hybrids upset over his involvement with EW.

Jacobs contends that EW described human looking aliens, AKA hybrids, in their sessions. Webmaster Smith became involved when Jacobs invited EW to post the record of her experiences on his website. He said “I thought it would be instructive to others to learn how one person recovered memories through both recall and hypnosis sessions.” Elizabeth Smith agreed to do the web work. Her access to EW’s information in her webmaster capacity is in part what led EW to suspect that Elizabeth Smith had concocted the instant messages in dispute...........

Follow-Ups
    The Defamation Campaign by Dr. David Jacobs
    Emma Woods Website
    Paratopia Episode 57: The Emma Woods Tapes (Mp3 file)
    Paratopia Episode 60: World Exclusive - Emma Woods. The Interview. (Mp3 file)
    Paratopia Episode 62: Threatened By Hybrids. The Aftermath. (Mp3 file)
    The Paracast April 4, 2010 — Co-host Christopher O’Brien with Budd Hopkins, Dr. David M. Jacobs and Kevin D. Randle (Mp3 file)
    To download the Mp3 files, right click and choose save as or save target as.
    Hypnotised abductees; Seeing truth or building confabulations? by Paul Novak
    Code of Conduct National Council for Hypnotherapy
    Professional Hypnotherapy Code of Conduct, British Society of Clinical Hypnosis American Council of Hypnotist Examiners Code of Ethics
    The False Memory Syndrome Foundation
    Full Article

Not sure if this is legit or not

A slideshow of unexplained marks and injuries on alien abductee, Emma Woods', body.

My dad's a psychologist, so I know that patient-client abuse comes up regularly and not just with regard to UFO-ology. There's something about the servicer-client relationship which makes the client vulnerable when the provided service is intangible and touches the spirit. The client approaches the provider in an already wounded condition, even worse than when it's physician-patient for a case of a broken leg, for example. We know that there's a great stigma against emotional illness of all types, whether it's grief counseling, UFO abductee counseling, or treatment for schizophrenia. The patient always feels as if SHE is at fault. You also see this inequity in clergy-penitent relationships in all denominations, and not just the Catholic church. The situation gets even worse when the patient is a woman and the provider is male. I know that this sounds like stereotypical liberal victimology, but I'm just stating a fact when I say that women still aren't equal to men.

I would argue that this scandal shouldn't ruin UFO-ology as a serious intellectual occupation any more than the Bill Clinton or Gov. Sanford sex scandals should be an excuse for dismantling government. Psychological, spiritual and physical harassment is a fact of life in all walks of life, unfortunately.

A red flag should go up, however, when the provider isn't a licensed therapist or psychologist. Perhaps licensed psychologists should take at least a neutral view with regard to abductees, and not judge them all as being insane.

Some of you might know about Freud's female patients who had "hysteria." They received hynotism and psychoanalysis. Freud thought that the women were "hysterical" because many told him that they had been sexually molested by male family members or friends. Even Freud couldn't get over the prejudice in Victorian Europe about sex. He couldn't believe that they were telling the truth.

Methinks that most contemporary psychologists think that all abductees are delusional, and they don't consider that the patient might be telling the truth. The patient-abductee, consequently, is driven to seek help from charlatans.

Sorry if I go on and on like this. Interestingly, I think that my legal training has made me more open-minded than any training in psychology might have I look forward to any further discussion.
    Last edited by fabucat; 09-08-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: grammar

Since Coast is doing a program tonight with :

Hypnotherapist and abduction researcher Yvonne Smith will discuss her research on UFO abductions including a multiple witness case which demonstrates the phenomenon is not a product of brain chemistry or psychological disorder.
    ...I have sent George and the producers of Coast a link to this thread both as a heads up and for suggestion on comment on this case and the entire issue of hypnosis in these cases.

I have also .cc'd George Knapp, who was the last one to interview David Jacobs back on Oct. 26, 2008.

Let's see if this get's mentioned tonight or if anyone picks this up.....

Apologies...I'm sloppy tonight...here's the cross reference to tonight's show:

http://imaginativeworlds.com/forum/s...bduction-Cases

Maybe she's from New Zealand.

You know, if he did what this woman is accusing him of, then, the guy is a major skumbag. But, we gotta give people the benefit of the doubt. Recently deceased Lt. Col Wendelle Stevens was accused of some horrible stuff,,,,,and,,,,wither you think he did it, or, that he was the object of a government smear campaign, is a debate. What is not a debate is the amazing material Wendelle Stevens is responsible for uncovering.

Dr. David Jacobs most valuable contribution to ufology,,,,,is his discovery of alien telepathy being used to project confusing imagary into the minds of abductees. Jacobs thinks this is being done to confuse hypnotherapists and abductees themselves. The stories are confusing, jumbled, and lacking coherancy, as a result of all the misinformation being played out during the abduction via the alien telapathic transmission.

It makes sense in a way.

It agrees very much with what Ingo Swann's "Penetration" states in regards to ET's having what Ingo Calls ESP+. The ability to not only gather information from minds via telepathy, but also the ability to project into said minds and alter things.

David Jacobs also has many interesting things to say about the nature of the ET presense,,,,, especially in regards to the hybrid program.
    Robert Anton Wilson
    I'm a libertarian because I don't trust the people as much as anarchists do. I want to see government limited as much as possible; I would like to see it reduced back to where it was in Jefferson's time, or even smaller. But I would not like to see it abolished.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoMarco View Post
    You know, if he did what this woman is accusing him of, then, the guy is a major skumbag. But, we gotta give people the benefit of the doubt.
    There is no IF here. Listen to the podcasts, you can hear the actual tapes of the sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoMarco View Post
    You know, if he did what this woman is accusing him of, then, the guy is a major skumbag. But, we gotta give people the benefit of the doubt. Recently deceased Lt. Col Wendelle Stevens was accused of some horrible stuff,,,,,and,,,,wither you think he did it, or, that he was the object of a government smear campaign, is a debate. What is not a debate is the amazing material Wendelle Stevens is responsible for uncovering.

Dr. David Jacobs most valuable contribution to ufology,,,,,is his discovery of alien telepathy being used to project confusing imagary into the minds of abductees. Jacobs thinks this is being done to confuse hypnotherapists and abductees themselves. The stories are confusing, jumbled, and lacking coherancy, as a result of all the misinformation being played out during the abduction via the alien telapathic transmission.

It makes sense in a way.

It agrees very much with what Ingo Swann's "Penetration" states in regards to ET's having what Ingo Calls ESP+. The ability to not only gather information from minds via telepathy, but also the ability to project into said minds and alter things.

David Jacobs also has many interesting things to say about the nature of the ET presense,,,,, especially in regards to the hybrid program.
    You have many valid points DM, however if you listen to the series of 3 Paratopia interviews, they may make you reassess.

Yes, certainly there could be the PTB that are/have used "Emma Woods" to discredit both David Jacobs, Budd Hopkins and all those who choose to use regression therapy as part of their research.

That said, I would encourage all to listen to this interview with Scott Lillienfeild, in addition the the previous three interview mentioned in this thread.

Dr. Scott Lilienfeld is a professor of psychology at Emory University and editor of Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice. He is also co-author of 50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology and a contributing blogger at Psychology Today. In what is sure to be one of our most controversial episodes, Dr. Lilienfeld not only explores the myth that hypnosis is an appropriate memory retrieval tool for alien abduction research... HE DESTROYS IT.

In the process, we examine the Emma Woods/David Jacobs debacle that seems every bit as surreal as the alien abduction stories in Jacobs' books. Is his behavior appropriate? Is this what happens when a man gets too absorbed in his own conclusions about the unknown? Hear Dr. Lilienfeld's initial impressions.

If you know of anyone who is thinking about undergoing hypnosis, please direct them here. This should be required listening for anyone who wants to undergo it or practice it.
    Streaming LInk

There are many excellent points and concerns raised by Lillienfeld in this interview and in fact he was very kind IMHO to Jacabs and Hopkins for whatever reason.

Do we or does anyone really understand "memory"? ...I'll leave it at that.

All in all one of the best programs I have listened to in a very long time....shook some of my paradigms and CBTs up big time...and made me think a whole bunch....

Man, I just finished listening to the Paratopia shows over the weekend. Some pretty daming stuff against Jacobs. Wonder how he's gonna get out of this one.
    That Paratopia show is pretty good too. Anyone think Coast will pick this story up?

I wish they would, Dakota... but David Jacobs is a huge name, and is obviously very aligned with Budd Hopkins and therefor Whitley Strieber... I would bet that Coast won't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseNoir View Post
    I wish they would, Dakota... but David Jacobs is a huge name, and is obviously very aligned with Budd Hopkins and therefor Whitley Strieber... I would bet that Coast won't touch it.
    That would suck. George says he's a light worker and if he really is, he should have Emma on his show. Anyone think she'd do it if they ask her? We should all write to George and to Whitley to have him bring it on. Bet his ratings would go sky high that night.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information