Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Finding News on Facebook and Twitter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,398

    Finding News on Facebook and Twitter

    Found on another thread: Mary said,

    "...Actually, FaceBook is one of my main sources for Real News. That's where I found this article...."

    Okay, I'm being left in the dust here... Just how does one find stories of interest on Facebook and Twitter - outside of contacting friends. Is there a Facebook "site" to go into?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bryan, Texas, United States
    Posts
    14,009

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    Found on another thread: Mary said,

    "...Actually, FaceBook is one of my main sources for Real News. That's where I found this article...."

    Okay, I'm being left in the dust here... Just how does one find stories of interest on Facebook and Twitter - outside of contacting friends. Is there a Facebook "site" to go into?
    its who you add as contacts...i have a lot of coast to coast personalities as facebook friends...they post news stories, there are facebook pages that update current info...there are unlimited resources out there ...you can link to them..my facebook page is full of news from alternative sources..plus friends and family

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,398
    You mean that you have to "friend" everyone? What happened to web sites?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Bryan, Texas, United States
    Posts
    14,009
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    You mean that you have to "friend" everyone? What happened to web sites?
    you can friend them or just link to stories ...i prefer constant info coming in so i go to the news "facebook page" and "like" them, i get updates that way...or if i find something of interest on another site i post it to my facebook so i can share it with others on my facebook page...then since mary is on facebook as my friend, we can share info that way

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,398
    Thanks a bunch, pyrite. Would you believe that I'm on Facebook, and yet, there were loose ends in my knowledge probably still is....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North of Midnight on Planet Wingnut
    Posts
    89,095
    One can't search FB for anything by topic. FB is just a continuous stream of whateve,r depending on who you have added as a friend, or what you have "liked" and what they decide to post. You can't go back or search to find anything related to any specific topic as you can do on forum or on google.

    Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Figueres
    Posts
    12,279
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    You mean that you have to "friend" everyone? What happened to web sites?
    You hit the nail on the head here. Go to real websites. Facebook is a marketing platform, not a news site. Sure maybe you will stumble on interesting things there, but it is in no way a good place for news. Every organization on FB who does news-type things have their own websites, go there instead.
    proj·ect
    1. something that is contemplated, devised, or planned; plan; scheme.
    2. a large or major undertaking, especially one involving considerable money, personnel, and equipment.
    3. a specific task of investigation, especially in scholarship.
    4. to propose, contemplate, or plan.
    5. to throw, cast, or impel forward or onward.
    6. to set forth or calculate (some future thing).
    7. to extend or protrude beyond something else.
    8. to use one's voice forcefully enough to be heard at a distance, as in a theater.
    9. to produce a clear impression of one's thoughts, personality, role, etc.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    North of Midnight on Planet Wingnut
    Posts
    89,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Project View Post
    You hit the nail on the head here. Go to real websites. Facebook is a marketing platform, not a news site. Sure maybe you will stumble on interesting things there, but it is in no way a good place for news. Every organization on FB who does news-type things have their own websites, go there instead.
    I totally concur with you here P.

    After trying to use FB mainly for IW I have come to the same conclusions. Much of the material that folks post there is old and it seems they do so to advertise themselves or bring attention or promote themselves, some event, or their website. Even if you read something interesting on FB....let's say a week ago or so, you will never be able to find it again unless you want to spend hours of scrolling through postings that are chronological...there is no search function, except by user name...nothing by title or subject.

    FB is just an ongoing stream of what anyone feels like putting up there at any given moment. One may find a gem or few once in a while, however for the most part I agree. Websites and forums are far superior to a constant stream of whatever IMO anyway.

    I hope that websites will survive this FB phenomenon...and I hope that's all that it is. It just may be another way the PTB have to dilute the richness of the internet as a knowledge repository and seems to be a social conditioning tool as well IMO, to both distract people from delving into anything in any depth, as well as conditioning people not to want to read or focus on anything beyond a few sentences.

    FB really has no history, except for the history that is being collected on the user and no community. It's really an "all about me" place and I think that appeals to a lot of people.

    Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you



  9. #9
    Judee's Avatar
    Judee is offline LOOK TO THE SUN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    33,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I totally concur with you here P.

    After trying to use FB mainly for IW I have come to the same conclusions. Much of the material that folks post there is old and it seems they do so to advertise themselves or bring attention or promote themselves, some event, or their website. Even if you read something interesting on FB....let's say a week ago or so, you will never be able to find it again unless you want to spend hours of scrolling through postings that are chronological...there is no search function, except by user name...nothing by title or subject.

    FB is just an ongoing stream of what anyone feels like putting up there at any given moment. One may find a gem or few once in a while, however for the most part I agree. Websites and forums are far superior to a constant stream of whatever IMO anyway.

    I hope that websites will survive this FB phenomenon...and I hope that's all that it is. It just may be another way the PTB have to dilute the richness of the internet as a knowledge repository and seems to be a social conditioning tool as well IMO, to both distract people from delving into anything in any depth, as well as conditioning people not to want to read or focus on anything beyond a few sentences.

    FB really has no history, except for the history that is being collected on the user and no community. It's really an "all about me" place and I think that appeals to a lot of people.
    In a nutshell, you hit the nail on the head Alpha. FB satisfies people's sense of 'instant gratification', and there is no 'depth' there in as much as people aren't really interested in reading and learning anything too time consuming. The 'friending' and 'unfriending' thing gives people a sense of control/power. It's the new way of life though, and that's just the way it is. Each generation changes and moves in different directions. While I may prefer reading whole books, and writing in whole sentences, today, people are more into reading in 'snippets' or watching quickie videos, and writing in abbreviations. Can't stop 'progress'...
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. ~C.S. Lewis

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •