Thread: HSN and QVC, Another Sign of the Economic Times

HSN and QVC, Another Sign of the Economic Times

I've been a big fan of Home Shopping Network and QVC for a long time. And I've bought a lot of things from them.
    Most of the jewelry is very good quality at a great price. One could buy....used to be able to buy....awesome gold and silver jewelry at great prices.
    But since the prices of gold and silver have been rising, so have the prices on the TV Shopping Networks, probably out of the price range of the typical buyer.
    So, recently, I am seeing that even their top jewelry designers are presenting Designer and Gallery Quality jewelry in polished brass, polished bronze, both of which look like yellow gold, and highly polished copper that looks like rose gold.
    I dunno, I'm just saying that to me this is another sign of how bad the economy is, and how much worse it will continue to be.
    And here's the thing....that brass and bronze and copper jewelry costs nearly as much as did gold a few years ago.
    It's very pretty, don't get me wrong. But, well, it isn't even gold plate...

Mary and Baby
    Better to have beans and bacon in Peace than cakes and ale in Fear ~ Aesop
    "When they tell you not to panic, that's when you run!"

FaceBook Mary Loedding Sells

Twitter Too

Do you ever buy that stuff on ebay?
    proj·ect
    1. something that is contemplated, devised, or planned; plan; scheme.
    2. a large or major undertaking, especially one involving considerable money, personnel, and equipment.
    3. a specific task of investigation, especially in scholarship.
    4. to propose, contemplate, or plan.
    5. to throw, cast, or impel forward or onward.
    6. to set forth or calculate (some future thing).
    7. to extend or protrude beyond something else.
    8. to use one's voice forcefully enough to be heard at a distance, as in a theater.
    9. to produce a clear impression of one's thoughts, personality, role, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Project View Post
    Do you ever buy that stuff on ebay?
    I don't think I have. I've visited eBay lately, to see what my older-and-no-longer-being-made Jay King pieces are worth. If nothing else, the silver is worth a lot more. Those older pieces, which I have, were made with a LOT of silver. For example, a HUGE and I mean Vulcan Jewelry Size Stone Pendant would be backed in solid silver.
    It's like any "collectable", one gets more $$ for a "Name", than one would get just for the materials, workmanship, etc.

Anyway, I'm happy to chat about anything here of course but the main reason for this Thread is yet one other, subtle, sign of the Economic Times.

Oh....yes....the prices on eBay I've seen for the Jay King Mine Finds are reasonable and I would probably make a little profit, or at least get my money back, should I sell my jewelry there.

I've already sold most of my gold and silver jewelry, holding onto small chains and earrings.

Mary and Baby

Twitter Too

Yes, was just wondering if you see the same effect on ebay or CL or other buying sites. I personally have seen the prices fall on the collectibles I like, but they do not contin precious metals. I go for wood items more often.
    proj·ect
    1. something that is contemplated, devised, or planned; plan; scheme.
    2. a large or major undertaking, especially one involving considerable money, personnel, and equipment.
    3. a specific task of investigation, especially in scholarship.
    4. to propose, contemplate, or plan.
    5. to throw, cast, or impel forward or onward.
    6. to set forth or calculate (some future thing).
    7. to extend or protrude beyond something else.
    8. to use one's voice forcefully enough to be heard at a distance, as in a theater.
    9. to produce a clear impression of one's thoughts, personality, role, etc.

Yeah, one of the reasons I love Jay King Mine Finds is his use of stones. He has the last of the Sleeping Beauty Turquoise, a pure, robins' egg blue, in a vault. He uses other turquoise, like the green, and beads made from chunks that still have pretty brown rough in it, greens, yellow/greens, etc.
    He and his people find all kinds of unusual stones, minerals, from all over. I do prefer those to "Precious Gems".
    In fact, many of the man made "diamonds" and other Lab Created gems used by QVC are prettier than the real thing.

I also like wood, real wood, not fiber board, nor veneer unless the veneer is used for decorative inlay work.

Mary and Baby

Twitter Too

Thread Information