I have all my family on instant messenger, I can say hi at any time to any of them, and they are spread across the world. I am certainly no stranger to "social networking". I run a flickr.com account where every photo I take is automatically uploaded and shared with my friends and family, and they can comment on and like my photos. I run 2 different personal sharing sites to share videos, posts, articles and so on with F+F. I run my own family genealogy site where people can edit, add photos and details about ancestors, and do collaborative research. The difference is I control all this (except flickr, but I run my own gallery sites too), and no one makes money from my information.
There is nothing inherently wrong with facebook, it is just disappointing to someone who knows there is better, more free, more useful, more personal.
edit: oh and I help run a few forums which are better as well
1. something that is contemplated, devised, or planned; plan; scheme.
2. a large or major undertaking, especially one involving considerable money, personnel, and equipment.
3. a specific task of investigation, especially in scholarship.
4. to propose, contemplate, or plan.
5. to throw, cast, or impel forward or onward.
6. to set forth or calculate (some future thing).
7. to extend or protrude beyond something else.
8. to use one's voice forcefully enough to be heard at a distance, as in a theater.
9. to produce a clear impression of one's thoughts, personality, role, etc.