Thread: 7 Legal Herbs That Can Alter Your Consciousness and Super-Charge your Dreams

7 Legal Herbs That Can Alter Your Consciousness and Super-Charge your Dreams

7 Legal Herbs That Can Alter Your Consciousness and Super-Charge your Dreams

Originally featured on EWAO by Laura Weber.

Herbs and plants are an integral part of the life that exists on our planet on every level. Plants are our food, our medicine, and are also catalysts to the expansion of our consciousness. Throughout our daily lives we are more likely to coast by using our automated behaviors and modes to experience our reality, but at night those boundaries are broken down and our spirits fly. These 7 plant allies can stimulate our consciousness to expand opening us to alternate experiences of reality and new ways of perceiving our selves and surroundings;

1- Xhosa Dream Root – Vivid and Prophetic Dreams

Silene Capensis, or Xhosa Dream root is most associated with the Xhosa people of South Africa who are knows to ingest this herb to induce vivid and prophetic dreams. This herb is often used by the Xhosa in the initiation rites of shamans and is believed to open up pathways of communication to ones ancestors. It is believed that the ancestors are most likely to communicate in the dream state. The root is ground into a powder which is mixed with water and drunk in the morning on an empty stomach. The effects are apparently slow to be induced and will take effect by the nighttime. According to entheology.com, “The effects of S. capensis usually manifest during sleep as prophetic lucid dream states that are rich with significance. Individuals do not usually perceive any effects in the waking state, although one individual did report perceiving wavy lines of light in the air about twenty minutes after consuming the root. The dream state is often compared to going under water by the Xhosa. Interestingly enough, it is said that the plant has no effects on individuals who are not meant to be diviners.

(Image Source: Silene Capensis)

2- Celastrus Paniculatus – The Elixir of Life

This amazing herb is not only known to promote the incidence of lucid dreaming and dream recollection for those who take it, but has often been called the ‘intellect tree’ because of its long history of use in ayurvedic medicine as an herb to help with mental focus, longevity, and memory. Users have reported that by adding 10-15 Celastrus paniculatus seeds into their daily regimen, they notice a marked improvement in cognitive function, ability to focus, and sharpness.

(Image Source: Celastrus-Paniculatus)

3- Blue Lotus – Mind Body Spirit Herb

Blue Lotus was among the most sacred of plants to ancient Egyptins. It grew throughout Egypt where its consciousness-enhancing properties were well known and taken advantage of. The Blue Lotus was associated with the origins of life and the divine perspective. According to iamshaman.com the plant was used in Egypt to stimulate the sex drive and, “Egyptian medicinal practitioners also used this flower to stimulate blood flow, and as an anti-aging treatment. The ancients worshipped Blue Lotus as a visionary plant and it was the symol for the origins of life. When this flower was soaked in water or wine, and then ingested it acted as an intoxicant.” Considered very sacred, the Blue Lotus was used to reach euphoric states of visionary consciousness.

(Image Source: Blue Lotus)

4- Wild Asparagus Root – Fly by Night

Wild Asparagus root, according to some old legends throughout Asia, allows the consciousness to fly during sleep. Journeying into other dimensions and places while asleep are common associations with this adaptogenic herb. Adaptogenic herbs help the body better adapt themselves to stresses that they face. This herb is also a respiratory and kidney tonic, helping to heal the body while letting the mind soar.

(Image Source: Asparagus Root)

5- African Dream Bean – Master Spirit Connections

Growing along the coasts of Madagascar, Southern Africa, Australia, and Asia, this common bean is used in a wide variety of ways by an array of people groups throughout the world. Its uses vary from a skin treatment to a food given to teething babies to relieve pain. However this bean’s most well-known and interesting use is its traditional use in South Africa to induce intense lucid-dreaming states in which a person is able to communicate with the spirit realm. For its consciousness-altering properties, the meat inside the bean is eaten.

(Image Source: Dream Bean)

6- Mexican Tarragon – Grow a Garden of Herbs for Dreaming

Mexican Tarragon is commonly grown in gardens and used as an herb for flavoring in cooking. Also known as Mexican Marigold, its flowers are associated with Dia De Los Muertos celebrations and observances. The herb can be used in a variety of ways to induce lucid dreaming from burning as incense, smoking before bedtime, or infused in water as a tea.

(Image Source: Mexican Tarragon)

7- Mugwort – A Versatile Dreaming Herb

Throughout the ages Mugwort has been a widely used herb in Europe associated with treating digestive or parasitic troubles and as a dream herb. Mugwort, like Mexican Tarragon, can be smoked, burned as an incense, or drunk as a tea. Mugwort is known to also stimulate lucid and meaningful dreams. It can also cause things deep in the subconscious to be exposed during dream-time.

(Image Source: Mugwort Leaf)

Main Featured Image Source: Juan Carlos Taminchi art.

**This list originally appeared on quantumstones.com by Stephanie Lucas.

Sources: resistance2010.com, entheology.com, iamshaman.com, nyishar.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

There are a LOT of these types of plants, they grow everywhere !

Once upon a time I used to experiment with these plants, of which wild lettuce seemed by far the best, the resin has to be extracted & then smoked with a very hot flame.

If this is not allowed please delete !

All you do is put the dried herb in a thermos flask with boiling water, then 24 hrs later strain the juice & pour it onto a metal tray in a warm place & wait for the water to evaporate, then just scrape up the dark resin that is left.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkQuark View Post
    There are a LOT of these types of plants, they grow everywhere !

Once upon a time I used to experiment with these plants, of which wild lettuce seemed by far the best, the resin has to be extracted & then smoked with a very hot flame.

If this is not allowed please delete !

All you do is put the dried herb in a thermos flask with boiling water, then 24 hrs later strain the juice & pour it onto a metal tray in a warm place & wait for the water to evaporate, then just scrape up the dark resin that is left.
    LOL...of course it's "allowed"!!

Do you or does anyone have any recommendations for finding/identifying these and other herbs growing in the wild?

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

I just discovered a similar species, Lactuca serriola (prickly lettuce), in the same genus as the wild lettuce with opium-like properties (Lactuca silvestris), growing in my yard. What a synchronicity that I would find this discussion within a day or two since then.

Prickly lettuce is apparently a common weed in the US and it grows very rapidly. Some sprouted in my yard and it looked very healthy, and I could not identify it, so I allowed it to grow. It's now between 5 and 6 feet tall.

Since these species are within the same genus I wonder if they might have the same active chemicals here, which are lactucopicrin and lactucin according to Wikipedia.

I did some further research and check this out:

The standard definition of lactucarium in these codices required its production from Lactuca virosa, but it was recognized that smaller quantities of lactucarium could be produced in a similar way from Lactuca sativa and Lactuca canadensis var. elongata, and even that lettuce-opium obtained from Lactuca serriola or Lactuca quercina was of superior quality.
    [I can't post the link yet.]

lacse2682w.jpg

If you see this plant around, now you know something new about it.

Wowsers, looks ready to cut for drying lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactuca_serriola

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactucarium

I have tried dozens of natural plants that supposedly have "effects" & with the exception of mushrooms this stuff is the most powerful by a long way, it is supposed to aid with lucid dreaming (but not if you mix it with a lot of beer lol)

So DarkQuark, why did you go the route of boiling leaves and then straining the juice rather than going for the milky sap of the plant? Just curious. And even with the leaf juice, you say the effects are strong?

If I experimented with this plant I would probably look for a simpler method rather than having to put the juice in an oven and evaporate it and then have to scrape the pan. I might end up ruining a pan and it seems like a relatively involved process anyway. Since this plant has been used since the 1700's in the US alone there should be a fair amount of literature out there on it, though I'm not sure how much could be found online.

Judee is offline LOOK TO THE SUN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY
    Quote Originally Posted by bsb22 View Post
    I just discovered a similar species, Lactuca serriola (prickly lettuce), in the same genus as the wild lettuce with opium-like properties (Lactuca silvestris), growing in my yard. What a synchronicity that I would find this discussion within a day or two since then.

Prickly lettuce is apparently a common weed in the US and it grows very rapidly. Some sprouted in my yard and it looked very healthy, and I could not identify it, so I allowed it to grow. It's now between 5 and 6 feet tall.

Since these species are within the same genus I wonder if they might have the same active chemicals here, which are lactucopicrin and lactucin according to Wikipedia.

I did some further research and check this out:

[I can't post the link yet.]

lacse2682w.jpg

If you see this plant around, now you know something new about it.
    I have that all over the acreage here. No wonder my goats always look so happy!
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. ~C.S. Lewis

Ice ages are always preceded by periods of global warming.

Very nice, thanks for posting Alpha.

Lego is legal as well!

“We live in a kind of dark age, craftily lit with synthetic light, so that no one can tell how dark it has really gotten”

The plant in the OP which is said to increase mental alertness, Celastrus Paniculatus, is native to India but can be grown virtually anywhere, including in the US. Apparently it is hardy and will come back year after year. You can order the seeds online to eat, and there are resources online also to increase chances of germinating these seeds to 75%, so you can grow your own bush of them. In Ayurvedic medicine it's been used for hundreds/thousands of years for all of the things that gingko is supposed to do, but apparently does not.

Quote Originally Posted by bsb22 View Post
    So DarkQuark, why did you go the route of boiling leaves and then straining the juice rather than going for the milky sap of the plant? Just curious. And even with the leaf juice, you say the effects are strong?

If I experimented with this plant I would probably look for a simpler method rather than having to put the juice in an oven and evaporate it and then have to scrape the pan. I might end up ruining a pan and it seems like a relatively involved process anyway. Since this plant has been used since the 1700's in the US alone there should be a fair amount of literature out there on it, though I'm not sure how much could be found online.
    I used a smallish thermos flask with boiling water to save on electricity boiling it for hours (I was a student at the time) & then after straining it I poured the juice onto a metal tray on a sunny window ledge & let the sun do the evaporating, the resin was scrapable with a stiff piece of plastic, & yes the effects were very noticeable using a suitable pipe & direct heat.

I'm an avid drinker of tea but the latest one that I used was a butterflypea/bluepea. I need to look for those plant and give it a try.

Thread Information