The first meaning of pox that comes to me is actually as a curse...
Shakespeare and all: "A pox on you vile witch!"
Note #3 carefully
1. A disease such as chickenpox or smallpox, characterized by purulent skin eruptions that may leave pockmarks.
3. Archaic.. Misfortune and calamity.
The root of the word:
pock (pk) Pronunciation Key Audio pronunciation of "pocks" [P]
1. A pustule caused by smallpox or a similar eruptive disease.
2. A mark or scar left in the skin by such a pustule; a pockmark.
1. something that is contemplated, devised, or planned; plan; scheme.
2. a large or major undertaking, especially one involving considerable money, personnel, and equipment.
3. a specific task of investigation, especially in scholarship.
4. to propose, contemplate, or plan.
5. to throw, cast, or impel forward or onward.
6. to set forth or calculate (some future thing).
7. to extend or protrude beyond something else.
8. to use one's voice forcefully enough to be heard at a distance, as in a theater.
9. to produce a clear impression of one's thoughts, personality, role, etc.