Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: CCD - Colony Collapse Disorder - The Why & What of the Bees?

Judee is offline LOOK TO THE SUN FOR THE ANSWERS OF WHY
    US Honeybee Losses Soar Over Last Year, USDA Finds
    May 26, 2015

By Dr. Mercola

A world without bees would be a very different place. Bees are pollinators – and critical ones at that. Of the 100 different crops that make up 90 percent of the world’s diet, bees pollinate 70.

The crops that make up about one out of every three bites of food depend on bees to flourish. Without bees, the fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds that you may currently take for granted at your grocery store could cease to exist… and along with them, the many other species that depend on them for food.

In an effort to show the critical importance of bees, one Whole Foods store removed all produce from plants dependent on pollinators. This involved pulling 237 of 453 products (or 52 percent) from the shelves. A sampling of the produce that disappeared without bees included the following:1
    Apples Onions Avocados
    Carrots Mangos Lemons
    Limes Honeydew Cantaloupe
    Zucchini Summer squash Eggplant
    Cucumbers Celery Green onions
    Cauliflower Leeks Bok choy
    Kale Broccoli Broccoli rabe
    Mustard greens

Honeybee Losses Soar in the US

In the 1940s, there were 5 million managed honeybee colonies in the US. Today there are half that number, while demand for pollination services (for crops including almonds, berries, and more) has increased.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD), which is basically defined as a dead bee colony with no adult bees, or a colony with a live queen and only immature bees present, is often blamed for the ongoing honeybee losses, but no “official” cause has been named. According to the USDA’s internal research agency, the Agricultural Research Service (ARS):2

“Colony losses from CCD are a very serious problem for beekeepers. Annual losses from the winter of 2006-2011 averaged about 33 percent each year, with a third of these losses attributed to CCD by beekeepers. The winter of 2011-2012 was an exception, when total losses dropped to 22 percent.

A 1-year drop is too short a time period to count as definitive improvement in honey bee colony survivorship. At least 2 to 3 years of consistently lower loss percentages is necessary before it is possible to be sure that CCD is on the decline.”

Indeed, the latest numbers from the USDA show that honeybee losses are, in fact, continuing to climb. From April 2014 to April 2015, losses of honeybee colonies hit 42 percent, which is the second highest annual loss to date.3 This percentage is down from 45 percent in 2012-2013, but remained well above the three prior years’ annual measurements.

Honeybee Losses Are Occurring at an ‘Economically Unsustainable’ Level

More:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar..._rid=966969494
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. ~C.S. Lewis

Ice ages are always preceded by periods of global warming.

In the OP and below it the year noted infamously with CCD was 2007. That year was news flashed many times afterwards as the sad story was often reported on Coast to Coast AM by Earth Files owner Linda Moulton Howe.

This was reported to me in Southern Illinois west of Albion by my next door logger neighbor now retired. As a log hauler for 16 years I can attest that the Mid-west's forest homes as "wild bee trees" were fast becoming a thing of the past in the Summer & Fall of 1999! I've sent it to earthfiles@earthfiles.com three times with the expected response each time, none. News Flashes with dates are just not changeable!

I've been on hold twice with George Noory accepting phone calls for Conversations With Linda. So what the heck! She already knew this fact in my mailings that 1999 would have updated that sad news story by 8 years.

MK II
    "So if you're tired of the same old story! Oh, turn some pages!" sung by Kevin Cronin of REO Speedwagon of Champaign - Urbana, Illinois

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information