Thread: Avid collectors and what they are called

Avid collectors and what they are called

Everyone I know collects something. I thought I'd start this new deck of with this little bit of trivia. Please start a new thread on what you collect, how you got started, where you find your stuff, pictures of course and have some fun sharing your collections with other Explorers!

Avid collectors and what they are called

In 1880, German Margaret Steiff, confined to her wheelchair, started making stuffed toys. In 1902, her nephew Richard Steiff introduced a stuffed bear for the Steiff toy company. Stuffed bears came to be known as Teddy Bears after US President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt, on a hunting trip, refused to shoot a bear cub. Today, an early Steiff teddy bear will cost well over $100,000 - if you can find one. In 1994, a "Louis Vuitton" Teddy bear was auctioned to Jessie Kim of Korea for $190,000.

Another famous bear, AA Milne's Winnie The Pooh fetched an even higher price. AA Milne chose Ernest Shephard to illustrate his books. One of the original drawings "A Pooh Party" was sold at Sotheby's in 1968 for $1,450.00.

What avid collectors pay for stuff they really want:
    • The Stradivari Kreutzer violin sold for $946,000 in 1988.

• A 1925 Patek Philippe, priced in 1925 at $15,000, was sold in the late 1990s for $11 million.

• Action Comics No 1, published June 1938, was sold in the 1990s for $185,000.

• Leonardo da Vinci's notebook, called The Codex Hammer, was bought by Bill Gates in 1994 for $30,8 million.

• Three Vincent van Gogh paintings are in the top ten most expensive artworks ever sold. His Portrait of Dr. Gachet fetced $82,5 million.

When is it "antique"?

According to US legislation enacted in 1930, an object may be called antique if is was made before 1830 - the legislation exempted objects of art more than 100 years old from customs duties. Firearms, however, classified as antiques need to have been made before 1898.

Automobiles built before 1904 are called veteran cars; those built between 1904 and 1931 are considered vintage, while cars that are at least 20 years old are called classic.

Antique cigars are those made before Fidel Castro took control of Cuba in 1959.

What collectors are called
    • The name for a teddy bear collector is archtophilist or arctophile.

• Collectors of dolls are called plangonologists.

• A collector of paper money, coins, tokens, and related objects is called a numismatist.

• A collector of paper money is called a notaphilist.

• A labeorphilist is a collector of beer bottles.

• A collector of butterflies is called a lepidopterist.

• A collector of matchbooks and matchbook covers is a phillumenist.

• A collector of antiques is an antiquarian.

• If you collect obsidian and syenite you are called a rock hound.

• A stamp collector is called a philatelist.

• A pernalogist is a collector of pearls.

• Cinephiles are film collectors.

• A bibiophilist collects books.

• A copoclephilist collects key rings.

• A deltiologist collects post cards.

• A collector of hi-fi equipment is called an audiophile

• Spermologist collect seeds

• A spermologer is one who collects Trivia (this from the original Trivial Pursuit game)

Setting the standard

Some old books are still setting the standard. For instance, the Bible still is the world's best selling book. In 1097, Trotula, a midwife of Salerno, wrote The Diseases of Women - it was used in medical schools for 600 years. The world's longest non-fiction work is The Yongle Dadian, a 10,000-volume encyclopaedia produced by 5,000 scholars during the Ming Dynasty in China - that's 500 years ago. Greek philosopher Aristotle wrote Meteorologica in 350 BC - it remained the standard textbook on weather for 2,000 years.

Vincent Van Gogh sold only one painting while he was alive - to his brother who was a gallery owner. The painting is titled "Red Vineyard at Arles."

The word millionaire was first used by Benjamin Disraeli in his 1826 novel Vivian Grey.

-------------------

Have fun with this new deck. Looking forward to hearing about and seeing your collections!!

Do unto Others as you would have them do unto you

First, Alpha, what is an "Avid"? I don't think I have one of those--how could that have happened?

You inadvertently left one collector off your list. I collect everything I can get my hands on because of sentimental value or because any item might be just exactly the thing I will need tomorrow. I refer to myself as a "Junqueologist".

BTW, Junqueolgists are usually also Procrastinators. I, myself, am planning to form a Northern Arizona chapter of Procrastinators, International, as soon as I can get a roundtoit. I had one once, but I can't place it just now in among my best stuff, which is where I thought I kept it.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ Ronald Reagan

People who collect comics are called geeks-I know because I am one.

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own."--The Prisoner

Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    People who collect comics are called geeks-I know because I am one.
    Geek was originally a carny term; it's the guy in the sideshow who bites the heads off live chickens.

Comic collectors are called "what are you wasting your money on that junk for"; after a few decades when the comics become "rarities" they are called "rich".
    We're all butterflies flapping our wings and changing the world.

Nice I just asked in a chat room the other day what you would call lovers of Spider Robinson's books... I thought Arachnophile perhaps.
    proj·ect
    1. something that is contemplated, devised, or planned; plan; scheme.
    2. a large or major undertaking, especially one involving considerable money, personnel, and equipment.
    3. a specific task of investigation, especially in scholarship.
    4. to propose, contemplate, or plan.
    5. to throw, cast, or impel forward or onward.
    6. to set forth or calculate (some future thing).
    7. to extend or protrude beyond something else.
    8. to use one's voice forcefully enough to be heard at a distance, as in a theater.
    9. to produce a clear impression of one's thoughts, personality, role, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lastconundrum View Post
    Geek was originally a carny term; it's the guy in the sideshow who bites the heads off live chickens.

Comic collectors are called "what are you wasting your money on that junk for"; after a few decades when the comics become "rarities" they are called "rich".
    LOL! A nighthawk is a bird of prey-I suppose I could bite the head off a chicken were I of a mind to.

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own."--The Prisoner

I hesitate to explain what all I collect. Perhaps I was a Packrat in a previous life.

I found this, what looks like a pretty good site for Collectors of Political Campaigns....buttons and such! Looking at these things is pretty fascinating. Political Memorabilia

Mary and Bessie
    Better to have beans and bacon in Peace than cakes and ale in Fear ~ Aesop
    "When they tell you not to panic, that's when you run!"

FaceBook Mary Loedding Sells

Twitter Too

I just had to Bump this up, it's pretty cool and fun

Mary and Baby
    Better to have beans and bacon in Peace than cakes and ale in Fear ~ Aesop
    "When they tell you not to panic, that's when you run!"

FaceBook Mary Loedding Sells

Twitter Too

Thread Information